So it goes

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Hilarious and then..

Hilarious column in the spec today about how this campus is full of "tarts". God what a perfect word to describe them. Tarts. You know who I mean: the skanky blonde in your philosophy class who "accidentally" flashes the class as she bends over to pick up her pen. The scantily clad brunette who gets up on stage and strips because she's "sexually liberated" (translation: has major daddy issues). The "bi-curious" girls who are really what my gay friends call BUGS (Bisexual Until Graduation) who have threesomes with anyone that asks.
Do I sound bitter? Honestly, I probably am. But perhaps I'm more disappointed than anything else. I met a really sweet girl at the pub, who was about to get hijacked by some upperclassmen guys with a not-so-nice track record. I stole her and took her to the bathroom. "Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked her. And she couldn't answer. She literally did not know what to say. She just shrugged her shoulders and gestured briefly at her body and looked at me sadly. It was as if no one ever asked her that before. And she's not a tart. She's not. She's sweet and innocent and maybe just doesn't know what she wants. She could've been anyone, even me.
And I don't know who to side with. I'm not this raging radical feminist. I dont spell women like "womyn" anymore because *it offends me* to spell it that way. I don't *want* to take the men out of womens movement. We need them there: and when I say need I don't mean it in a dependent sort of way. I mean it in the way that any "minority" (although women are a majority) group needs their oppressor. We need to work *with* them and not *against* them. And yet for all my mellow feminist tendencies, I can't but feel frustratration towards these tarts. Somewhere, someone along the line told them it was ok to objectify themselves. Someone must've showed them that if you take off your clothes, men will act like they like you. And all I want to do is grab them and feed them and tell them that they shouldn't *have* to take off their clothes. No one should *have* to do anything they don't want to do. Of course they think this is what they want. They say that they are just treating sex like men treat sex. But I don't really think i can buy that. No one just wakes up one day and decides to objectify herself. Something must've happened. Something must've taught these girls that in order to be loved, they have to fulfill every man's fantasy.
And so as sorry as I am for these girls, there is no changing them. There is no helping them. That innocent girl I pulled aside still went on her way with those guys, and I don't know what happened after that. i don't want to know. The worst part about these girls is sometimes I feel like it's too late for them. They won't listen. They *can't* listen. And they're not going to change. They'll always hate girls like me, hating us for no apparent reason, talking about us behind our backs, threatening our mutual friends, stealing our boy friends, threatening us directly. But it's a hatred that comes from misunderstanding. Perhaps even envy. And it's a hatred that I can't reciprocate, because all I ever feel for them is pity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home