So it goes

Friday, August 25, 2006

To the class of 2010

You don't know me yet. But you will. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, all you need to know is i'm a senior at our college, and I can't believe how old I actually am. I've been there before, sitting in those seats, staring off into space while some dean tries desperately to explain the rules without seeming uncool. I've been there, eyeing my roommate, wondering whether or not we'll get along. I've been there, stressed out about making a good impression, about finding the "right" group of friends, about not standing out too much. You might look at me and wish you could grow up faster, to get rid of this awkward first year phase. Well guess what. I'm actually really envious of you.

You've been asking me a lot of questions this week, and I've answered them. But there's one thing that you all seem to over look. It's the one thing that I overlooked when I was a first year like you. Really, forget all your silly questions about beer drinking and escaping campus police. All you really need to know is this: at this school, nothing will come easily. If you were looking for a school that was going to give you everything you need, that was gooing to support your every wish and desire, that would cater to every interest and friends would come out of the woodwork; if you were expecting a place where you would finally find "your people" guess what: you're going to be disappointed.

Our college is a place that "won't train you for anything, but will prepare you for everything" . Its true. Chances are, after four years, you won't leave here knowing exactly what you want to do. that's right, i'm even talking about you, you pre-med, pre-law, post-doctoral researchers etcetc... I used to be one of you. Then I was a writer. Then a women's studies major. Then a therapist in training. And now, now after four years of academia and ridiculous amounts of tuition I can tell you with complete and utter confidence that I have absolutely no idea what i'm going to do with my life. You think that's scary? It's not. Let me explain.

After four years, we are standing on the brink of the infinite abyss. How we choose to jump in will ultimately determine the way we live the rest of our lives. Some people will shy away from this unknown: it's scary and risky. They will do what is safe and secure, perhaps a job with Morgan Stanley or work as an accountant for some TNC. And that's fine. I don't know about you, but I did not spend 40+ grand a year just to work in a cubicle for someone. What I mean to say is, our school won't serve you anything, it will prepare you for everything. What you do with that knowledge is up to you and you alone.

So yeah, worry about what y ou're going to major in, worry about what classes to take, which teacher is the hardest. Worry about getting caught drinking, about pledging fraternities, aboutboyfriends and girlfriends. Worry, go ahead. But don't worry too much. Know, at this school, you can't be invisible. I see you, you in the back row, pretending to be too cool with your yankees cap lowered over your eyes, dozing off when you should be listening. I see you, paranoid about the freshman 15, joking about it, but skipping two of three meals and running every day. Like I said. I've been there. I know how it is.

Know that the friends you choose will the the ones to define you. Choose them with care. Break out into the unknown. College is the time in your life to make silly decisions- dye your hair pink, get a tatoo, pierce you nipple. Do what you have to. This is the time to do it. At no other point in your life will you be able to blame your mistakes on "college experimentation". Have no regrets, hold you breath and dive right in. And know, that there is someone out there who gives a damn. Even though you don't know me, and you probably never will, I'll be pushing for you. No matter what.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home