So it goes

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Cafe Opusing

So I'm in the kitchen of opus right now, chilling out with Gabi and listening to european dance music. And i'm thinking about my watson proposal, and really feeling like I don't know if I can make this fly. I had a panic attack earlier today in my room while writing up the proposal: I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with my life after college. NO idea. Not even a clue. I don't even know what I would do ideally. LIke you know that question that they always ask you in highschool: What would you do if you were given a million dollars and never had to work for the rest of your life? I don't know how I'd answer that question. I have no idea. I was ok with this, I really was, for a while. But I guess American "Do it now!" culture has infiltrated my mind. Its too late for the GREs, so Psych Grad School is out of the question next year. Maybe I could be a teacher? What would I teach? Creative Writing? I don't know how to creative write. I just do it and cross my fingers that it turns out alright. Spanish? Wouldn't they rather a native spanish speaker?
I was filling out a job application today and I realized that I've actually taken more hispanic studies classes than psychology classes. I've taken 12 hispanic studies classes and 8 psychology classes. i'm majoring in psychology. I might not even be able to minor in hispanic studies. Is that a sign of a dysfunctional academic department or what?
My parents think I should go into international relations. I'd die before working a regular 9-5 job in a cubicle somewhere, so if i get a job in IR i'd like to travel. A lot. They're not too cool with me being a teacher, although neither one has said it explicitly. I think they really wanted me to go the therapist route. But what can i say? It's just not the right path for me.
I flip back and forth from being terrified about the future to being excited. I feel like i'm hanging on the brink of the infinite abyss, i feel like i've got so many ways to go, up or down, and i just want to hang here forever but i know i can't. The minutes of my college career are ticking away and i still am as clueless as when i started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home