So it goes

Friday, April 13, 2007

Everybody I love you

So I'm starting to slowly say goodbye to this whole college deal. It's funny, while it was happening I never really realized that it was happening. I feel like I've spent the past 4 years waiting for this incredible college experience to descend upon me. And so many times I'm so tempted to say that "i didn't have a colleg experience" but once I start to think about it, I really did. What's more, I think it was in many ways ideal. I diden't recognize that it was happening while it was happening, which is simultaneously the beauty of the situation,as well as it's curse. When I think of college, I think, strangely enough, of the highschool yearbooks of the school I attended before I went to boarding school. It was the mid 90s, and each senior had their own page to decorate and draw all over any way they chose. Twenty or so pages, covered in inky black doodles and Jack Kerouac quotes, lyrics from Ani Difranco (even on the boys' pages, a phenomenon I was too young to appreciate back then) and Pink Floyd. Pictures of people in beat up vans driving across the country, acoustic guitars, long unwashed hair, flannel, barefoot hackey-sack games under thickening dogwood trees, clouds and smoke and sky sky sky. And I'm filled with this feeling of longing and slight dread- did I miss it? Did I miss it all? But then I wonder how we will be remembered. If some kid some day goes into the Hamilton archives and digs up pictures of my friends and I, in our flowing skirts and indie-rock tshirts, our hot pink signs labeled "Babes Against Bombs", our huge signs that spell "rock out for Darfur"- what will he think of us? Will a person like that exist at all, ten years from now? What kind of legacy am I leaving here, if one at all?
But as always, we see ourselves so differently than how others see us. Who knows, and who cares, really? I'm running psychological experiments for my thesis on some freshman today. Both participants so far asked me what I was doing next year. Too bad I didn't have an answer for them. Some want advice, about psychology and about college. My advice? 3 things:
1. Don't let your friends define you. Sure joining a society is cool and everything, but don't become the society. There's nothing worse than a person without an individual identity.
2. Be the change you want to see at college. Don't transfer just yet. What is it you want to fix? And then figure out how to fix it. Hamilton's so easy to change, you just have to learn to contact the right people.
3. If you're going to major in Psychology and you aren't sure about grad school yet DO NOT DO A YEAR LONG THESIS. Learn from my mistakes, you will thank me later. :)

So what now? I want to finish my thesis. I want it to be done, so I can enjoy my last few weeks at college. I want it to be sunny, so I can sit and watch the clouds on minor field again. And I want some killer music. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home