So it goes

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Edna St. Vincent Millay

gets me. She just does. It's kind of freaky how well she gets me. Three favorites:

"God's World"
O world, I cannot hold thee close enough!
Thy winds, thy wide grey skies!
Thy mists, that roll and rise!
Thy woods, this autumn day, that ache and sag
And all but cry with colour! That gaunt crag
To crush! To lift the lean of that black bluff!
World, World, I cannot get thee close enough!

Long have I known a glory in it all,
But never knew I this;
Here such a passion is
As stretcheth me apart,--Lord, I do fear
Thou'st made the world too beautiful this year;
My soul is all but out of me,--let fall
No burning leaf; prithee, let no bird call.


"The Philosopher"
And what are you that, wanting you,
I should be kept awake
As many nights as there are days
With weeping for your sake?

And what are you that, missing you,
As many days as crawl
I should be listening to the wind
And looking at the wall?

I know a man that's a braver man
And twenty men as kind,
And what are you, that you should be
The one man in my mind?

Yet women's ways are witless ways,
As any sage will tell, --
And what am I, that I should love
So wisely and so well?


"Travel"
The railroad track is miles away,
and the day is loud with voices speaking,
Yet there isn't a train goes by day
But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn't a train goes by,
Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming
But I see its cinders red on the sky,
And hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with the friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.
---
On that last note, I'm going to Honduras for a week. The malaria pills that my parents insist I take are giving me strange dreams, where I will characters into being (like the one last night when I thought, I'd like to dream about my dear friend who is in Washington... when will he come home? and there he was! Great to see him, by the way)They are also kind of making me into a big bitch (a bigger one than usual? you may ask. If I were there I'd punch you... how's that for an answer?) All I have to say is thank god I'll be out of the country for a while. Perhaps this adventure will last me long enough through my final month of college.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:26 AM, Blogger debutard said…

    Yay for lucid dreams! I love those, but I've only ever had them about twice. Wish for them every night before bed LOL :-p

     

Post a Comment

<< Home