So it goes

Monday, March 05, 2007

I believe "wonderful" was the word used

At least the Bristol heirs think I'm cool. Here's a copy of the poem I read to them during my fellowship interview. It's a response to the Mali poem recently posted.

"Response to Taylor Mali
or
Here's to the world"

True poetry can be read softly on the page
But I’d rather be here up on stage
Not getting rallied up in an existential rage
Thinking that this is the poem that’s gonna end the war
Digging my heels deep into the floor
No I’d rather calmly describe to you
What exactly it is I’m for

I’m for love and compassion
And individual fashion and
Colors that mix and histories that clash and
Love stories not marketed for their passion
But their truth

I’m all for complete reckless abandon
And celebration in moments of spontaneity
And carrying around wine glasses in a box labeled
“Break in case of god-sent clarity”

I’m for sunny days and open roads
That stretch for miles and miles
With a full tank of gas and ambition to go
Anywhere with anyone with a genuine smile

I want open books and broken hearts
And the unbreakable human spirit which
Rises without fail from the grit and sweat
Of life bigger and badder and better than before

I’m for living deep and sucking the marrow out of life
I want people to know that last line was a literary reference
To Henry David Thoreau

I want an end to television evangelists
And cartoons as marketing tools
I’m all for religion and prayer
Just not in our public schools

I’m for intense sessions of personal reflection
On life long lessons and risks of rejection
Just to go out there and make a connection
Even if it hurts

I’m for poets picking up pens instead of guns
And parents not having to bury their sons
For interpersonal communication
And stopping international rights violations
And people causing the end of their own countries wars
A bit of human compassion
That’s what I’m looking for

I want unprecedented optimism
And inappropriate laughter
I’m for lying on the grass
And noticing that time goes by faster
Than we ever cared to acknowledge before

I’m for loyalty and independence
And all other traits we can learn from dogs and cats
I’m for becoming your own teacher
And questioning all the facts

So let’s break out those wine glasses
And give a toast to whatever life’s got in store
To love and friendship and living evermore
To mending broken hearts and healing soul’s sores
To train wrecks and hurricanes and confusing civil wars
To priests and nuns, to pimps and whores
To climbing through windows when life closes doors

Just a celebration of this very moment
That’s exactly what I’m for.

---
Whenever I post poetry on here, I always want to put a bit in about plaigerism. ie: it's not cool. Please don't. Contact me instead, and I will teach you how to write your own stuff. Who knows, you might be a better writer than me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home