So it goes

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What are you doing?!

I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.
Why is it that our society is so obsessed with planning ahead? Everyone knows that it's next to impossible to get a good, decent paying job right out of undergrad. The best jobs (in my opinion) aren't the one that you can just fill out an application for, send in your resume and bam! two weeks later you're hired. No. It's not like that anymore. Furthermore, I don't want a safe secure desk job. I really don't.
My parents are going to kill me- I got a private liberal arts college education, I majored in two very useful fields and somehow I *still* have no idea what I'm doing. If I could do anything? I'd drink coffee and write. I'd just sit around, happily caffienated and write and write and write. Should I be a writer? Probably not- deadlines aren't my thing. A teacher who writes on the side? Maybe- i don't know if I have the patience.
I went to the career center yesterday with a list of questions to ask that my parents gave me. I didn't ask them. I don't care about those things enough. I just want to know how I can best use my creativity without having it sucked out of me by some evil corporate vacuum. Non profits? Maybe that's where I'm headed. I keep going back to this place in my mind where I can chill out, where I can help others, where I can drink all the coffee I want and have poets and musicians perform, where there is a space for college artists and early twenty-something businesspeople to just relax and unwind. God I kind of want to open a cafe somewhere. My parents want to kill me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home