So it goes

Thursday, October 19, 2006

My attempt at copying Reeve's style

**so I went to the filming of HBO's def poetry, and this guy Reeves, who is the classic jackass (see previous post) got up there and read the sweetest poem ever. He's one the past 4 national slams, so i thought i'd give his style a shot. It's not my style at all, and it's kind of stereotypical for a girl to be writing a love poem, so I don't think i'll ever perform it unless someone gets me drunk first.


I remember when you baptized me goodmorning
And breathed the whisper of life into my mouth.
We stayed up all night watching the people passing in reverse
A paralell universe through my windows
And you, holding me tight in your arms
As if I were about to float away

Said to me that you were happy
Finally
And maybe it’s because I get you
I said
And you said no
Maybe it’s because you get you
And I get me
And together, we get each other
similtaneously

You,
you’re not like those other boys
You’re rare and beautiful like a sincere smile
The kind that sneaks up on you and no matter what
You can’t stop it
Or the way I couldn’t wash the feeling of your skin
On my skin no matter how hard I tried

But let’s be honest,
I didn’t try that hard.
You’re simply wonderful

And I don’t get why it’s easier to write in love
Than to be in love
Or why it is that I think of you every time I hear "Ring of Fire"

I know I may not be what you’re looking for
skinny little freckle faced girl next door
like the girl you know you should’ve loved
but wouldn’t
like the girl you know you wanted to love
but couldn’t

No,
I won’t be that girl who’ll strip for you
Or play sex goddess of the western hemisphere
Or pretend to like the same bands as you
Or flirt with you till i'm blue in the face
But man, I just love to see you smile
And I know how skeptical you are
Of silly love poems
Performed in inappropriate spaces like this one

And how you’re sitting there thinking,
Hey, is she talking about me?
Well wake up man,
I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home