So it goes

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

gravitate

We pulled into a gas station, and he got out with a little smile. The night was unusually warm and the air thick with the impending fall showers. He began fueling the car, and i saw the reflection of my face in the window illuminated by the green clock, which read the wrong time. It took me a moment to recognize the eyes of the person in the reflection. I wondered how long it's been since I've grown up. He smiled at me through the window and got back into the car. As he opened the door I heard Billy Joel playing on the gas station radio: "I want you just the way you are". As he climbed into the seat next to me, his hand brushed mine. We smiled at each other shyly and after a moment he started the car.
"do you realize how long we've known eachother?"
"Seven years or something like that"
"I wish I had gotten to know you better in the beginning"
"I think we knew more about each other then than we thought."
We drive home listening to a country radio station, giggling periodically at the silly awkwardness of a high school romance rekindled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home