So it goes

Thursday, November 09, 2006

what's the deal anyway?

I had someone ask me
"what the fuck makes you a feminist anyway?"
She said it with such distain in her eyes
that i knew immediately she was refering to the curve of my thighs
and the fact that i could pick up a lot of guys
If i wanted to
(but i don't)

So here's an answer for my sister
who doesn't consider herself such
I'm a fucking feminist because i don't shave my legs much
And I don't give a shit if i offend some guy with my hair
because i will find a man who loves me for my qualities
rather than the fact that i look like a model on tv

And i'd rather have a brain between my ears
than look perfect like Britney Spears
And follow all the latest fashion trends
Just so he can show me off to his friends
Like a fucking trophy.

Well you can go fuck yourself with your facist beauty industry
I'm gonna find someone who loves me
for something more than just what you can see.

I refuse to be embarrased the morning after
unless you hold men to the exact same standards
and give them hell after they bring home someone new
Because if i'm giving explanations, you should too.

I'm a feminist because I want to be able
to walk myself home late at night
And i don't need a guy to defend my honor
with some lame bar fight

I want to wear a short skirt
without you looking at my ass
and I want that nice guy to just go ahead
and ask.

I am so tired of looking at magazines
and finding nothing but fake beauty
in the ads in between
instead of a reflection of what we could be

I want my mother's rightful place restored in the heavens
I want my sister to be at her right hand
I want god to be both a woman and a man.

Why you gotta tell me if I'm hated
is it because you're afraid I'm right?
Why is it always so complicated
that i feel i have to explain myself day and night

I'm a feminist because I am exhausted through and through
for having to defend my reasons
for wanting some love too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home