So it goes

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What are you doing?!? part 2

I walked into my career center appointment feeling the same as always:a bit of apprehension, and a tinge of jealousy directed at all the other kids who already know what they're doing next year. But something was different. My advisor seemed... strange. We walked up the stairs and into her office. I hesitated. The fellowships coordinator was in the office. She told me to sit down, my advisor sat down behind her desk. I chose the comfy chair by the window. It was such a great day outside, warm enough for bare shoulders and legs. But I felt doubt- beautiful enough for a rejection? I had been waiting to hear from the Bristol Fellowship for the past month. They had it narrowed down to two people, myself and a friend of mine. We had gotten drunk together on saturday and decided that whoever wins has to fly the other person out to visit them. The Fellowships coordinator began to speak.
-So I wanted to congratulate you
-on?
-You got the Bristol Fellowship.

The world stopped. I what? I have to do WHAT? Everything has just fallen into place. Yesterday the world was falling apart along with my health. Today i am as sunny as the sky. Ridiculous world. I love it. Just then, the other candidate walks in. He sits down. The fellowships coordinator looks at him too. He got it as well!
I feel like we are the two luckiest kids ever. Seriously, I can't believe this is happening. Just the other day I wrote on a job application form as a response to "If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be?" My answer?: 1) A mountain of guacamole 2) a cure for HIV 3) Enough money to travel the world for a year. And that last one just came true!

So what am I doing? I will be traveling around the world studying slam poetry, interviewing spoken word poets and god knows what else! I can't believe it. Holy Crap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home