So it goes

Monday, June 25, 2007

Flagstaff, Sedona and The End of the road

Arriving in Flagstaff was like coming home. You know that feeling of arriving in a place that you may not know, or even particularly find aesthetically pleasing, but just feel at home? That's what Flagstaff was for me. As I got out of the car, and looked around, a wave of calm washed over me, coupled with intense excitement. Where was that little light being? She approached from a distance, catching my eye and suddenly bouncing and running, waving and giggling loudly. I ran towards her and hugged her. I flashed back to when I said goodbye to her in Sevilla, all bundled up in tights, a sweater and a thick ski cap, despite the andalucian heat. And how we cried and yelled "Oye Guapa! A donde vas mi amor!?" out the window over a soundtrack of Ojos de Brujo. And here she was again, just the same, and completely different, radiatingly beautiful. We made our proper introductions between friends and took off down the road to find some cheap eats and beer.

As we walked down the street, we passed a man with a floppy brown hat and a book of Rumi poetry slung under one arm. Laney, in her typical magically inticing manner, called out to him, and invited him to a drink. His eyes were strikingly familiar: a Portugese man I once met in Spain had those same eyes, or was it simply the feeling behind them? I felt simultaneously drawn and averted. Things had not ended well in Spain with that last soul. Would the same disaster repeat itself that night? I put the thought out of my head, although I could tell he sensed my apprehension (he later told me so). There is no use in judging others for similarities they share with our loved ones. The five of us entered a bar, sat on the roof, they rolled cigarrettes, despite my scolding, I was clearly out numbered.

After a beer, Maggie took off for Sedona. I stayed with Laney, her friend and our mysterious new companion. We drove for a few miles and ended up in the mountains. As we set up camp, I looked up. Stars everywhere, like little holes in the universe where divine light peeks through. Stars everywhere, so many and so low, as I have not seen since our night camping out on the beaches in Portugal. We had a campside feast, typical for my dear friend, who has a way with food just as she does with people and music. We sang flamenco, giggled that we couldn't remember the words, and recited poetry. I fell asleep that night with a smile on my lips and Rumi ringing in my ears.

The next morning I woke early, a sense or urgency biting at my feet. I would have to leave Flagstaff to go to Sedona, meet up with Maggie and drive to Tucson. As much as I wanted to see Maggie and Heather and Tucson, I felt a pull towards Flagstaff. Something was making me want to stay there. Our whole camping crew went out for coffee at an amazing cafe. I saw signs for poetry readings, open mics, small concerts (one of my favorite bands was coming!) and art exhibits. Pull pull pull. I had to stay. I kept asking my companions what they thought. Laney explained "Jess does this when she already knows the answer." I did know the answer. I should stay. I should've stayed. But I left. It was the sensible thing to do. Afterall, I could always come back, right?

We parted ways with our floppy hatted poet friend, and took off for Sedona. Sedona was beautiful. Red, red, red. If Spain is orange, Arizona is red. Sedona is fire. This is where I parted ways from my dear friend Laney. Not as painful as the first time, this time I felt we'd see each other again. Who knows for sure though.

Was introduced with Maggie's friend, charming and beautifully talented vocalist, and illuminated spirit. We talked, got food, talked some more. I mentioned I was looking for my crystal. She got up and tossed me one off of her table. A small, naturally cut piece of quartz. I thanked her, not really knowing what to say. Immediately, we got in the car and drove up the mountain a bit. I sat down on the red earth and looked west. "I thought we were going to miss it" Maggie said happily, as she stared down the sun. We were giddy with energy.

After a day or so in Sedona, Tucson was calling. Before we left, we climbed down the side of what I can only describe as a small cliff, and landed in a river. We took off our shoes and waded in the water, so cold it hurt, but so good. We left quickly, more quickly than I think any of us wanted, and headed south, attempting to avoid as much of Phoenix as possible, since everyone we had encountered warned us against it. Maggie and I were both rejuvinated by the presence of our outside friends, and giggled and listened to our tunes happily.

Finally, we had arrived in Tucson. Finally, I had gotten to my American desert. We pulled into 4th Ave and wandered the streets. Stopping at a small cafe, we ate salads and drank our coffee (a necessity as great as water at this point) and waited for Kevin. I knew it was him when he turned the corner. A smile rose within me as he approached. He was glowing. We got back in our car and followed him up the mountain. Parking on the side of the road, the air was thinner and cooler. There were pine trees, and it smelled like home. Like Pennsylvania. We followed him, like an elvin leader, he climbed with both his arms and legs down the side of a valley, into a dried up river bed. The rocks were smooth, large and round. After an hour or so of playing in the rocks, we were famished. We hopped back into the car, and drove back to Kevin and Heather's apartment, where it was clear that our dear Heather had arrived from work. Maggie jumped out of the car and sprinted into the apartment. Kevin and I walked a bit behind. "And I'm invisible" says Kevin jokingly. "Me too, man, me too" I reply, as I step into the warm glow of Heather's light.

Such a happy reunion. I felt like I was united with my sisters again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home