So it goes

Thursday, June 14, 2007

On the road

And so began the part of my life on the road. We packed up Maggie's little grey honda, the color grey so deceiving that appears in memory as green or dark blue or black rather than grey, but grey it is. Our Grey Pony we called it lovingly, as we slammed the trunk full of sleeping bag, hippy food, and water- tons of water. Our mission: Philadelphia to Tucson in 10 days. Our fuel/energy: firstly provided by the lovely hungry war mongers owning oil companies (but better than my jeep, for the grey pony is manual, and my jeep eats more gas than a fat baby), and secondly provided by our own hopefull hungry souls. As I can only speak for myself, seeing as though I am not telapathic nor can I outright interview people without sounding like a shrink (yes... and how does that make you feel?) I know only that the trip for me was in search of soul expansion. The kind of expansion that happens when you hit a new landscape and you look to the horizon and something new and different is out there looking back at you. That different thing, that creature of the road, that wandering elusive myth I was searching for was America. Whatever that is. Searching because I'll leave this country in a few short months without ever experiencing it's face beyond the mississippi, without ever feeling it's eyes through mountain or desert or lake or.. Texas. How could I ever scan the world without knowing the face of my own home? I went off in search of my home before I had to go off in search of my world, before going off in search of my self.
(note: I've only short access to internet, these postings are compiled completely of one word notes with dates in a beat up notebook I carry with me everywhere, also aligned with tiny stanzas that haunt my memory till I can work them into a poem, perhaps also searching for a home. In other words, stay tuned.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home