So it goes

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Solar gazing

We drove to the top of Mt. Lemmon, and climbed smooth rocks surrounded by the smell of pine trees. Climed far away from the road, and we all went our separate directions. Maggie and Kevin disappeared over the upper edge. Heather climed lower and sat on a log. I stayed where I was and sat on a rock. The world spread itself out before me and I felt my heart swell.

We slowly regrouped and climbed back into the street. A man with a motorcycle was sitting on the ledge, looking out at the view. I, videocamera in hand, approached him.

"what do you love about life?"
He laughed nervously
"I don't know"
he paused. then gesturing out over the valley infront of us
"That. I love that. How could you not?"

We got in the car and drove higher up the mountain, climbed out again and, wrapped in sleeping bag, the four of us snuggled on a rock shaped perfectly like a couch. I heard a noise to my left. Looking down, this perfectly formed little creature, this beautiful little mouse stared back up at me with big brown eyes. It didn't run, it didn't look scared. It just looked at me, head tilted to the side, like we were old friends. Then, after about a minute, with a quick squeak, it turned and walked away.

Kevin and Heather were staring at the sunset. I was looking out over Tucson. From that high, it really did look like ocean and not desert. I felt like I was in an alternate universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home